Let's Be Heart Healthy!
- Always read nutrition labels and check the serving size, amount of calories, and salt and sugar levels.
- Eat on smaller plates. This will help control your portion sizes.
- Eat out less, by cooking meals at home. Stay away from fast food establishments.
- Add more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats/poultry in your diet.
- Clean out your kitchen and throw away the junk food.
- Avoid trans fats and partially hydrogenated oils. Eat healthier fats such as nuts and seeds, avocados, and fatty fish.
- Stay away from fried foods.
- Eat the rainbow!
- Get moving and start being active. Add some exercise into your day by walking. Start with 15 minutes 2x a day.
- Use the stairs instead of taking the elevator.
- Find an exercise buddy to do activities with. This will make it more enjoyable and hold you accountable.
- Make sure to stretch before exercising.
- Go for a bike ride around your neighborhood or at the local park.
- Do chores around the house or find time to garden.
- Go to the gym or play sports with some friends.
- Make sure you have the right equipment and stay hydrated!